What exactly is a proper noun? We usually call our friends, family members, or our pets with a specific name. isn’t it? Now you are close to the definition of a proper noun. A specific name given to a particular person, place, or thing is called a proper noun.
Let’s get it with an example.
- Ramesh is a rich person in my colony. Here Ramesh is the name of a particular person. So Ramesh is a proper noun.
Let’s take one more example.
- Ritesh Aggarwal is the youngest entrepreneur in India. Here Ritesh Aggarwal is a proper noun
Similarly, the particular names we give to places, things, constructions, books are proper nouns.
- Constructions: Taj Mahal, Red Fort, Eiffel Tower, etc
- Holy Books: the Bhagavad Gita, the Ramayana, the Quran, the Bible
- Names of Person: Trump, Modi, Mark Zuckerberg, etc
Names of particular animals and birds
The names of animals such as dogs, cats, tigers, lions, and birds such as parrots, pigeon, crow all come under common nouns.
The name of a particular animal or bird that we give is a proper noun.
Here is an example:
- I have a dog named Lucy. Here Lucy is a proper noun, not the dog.
- Rani is a parrot that can speak like a woman. Here Rani is a specific name of the parrot so, the Rani is a proper noun, the parrot is a common noun.
I think now you got a better understanding of the proper nouns!!!!
Now let’s see how to identify the proper nouns without a doubt.
Here’s a simple note, always proper nouns start with a capital letter no matter where they fall in a sentence.
Here are a few examples:
- I went to Mumbai to watch a cricket match in Wankhede Stadium.
Here Mumbai and Wankade stadium both are proper nouns. Both started with a capital letter and these are the names of particular places. Always the proper nouns start with a capital letter.
Do Directions Need to be capitalized?
Directions are capitalized when they are used as a part of a particular region or place. Don’t worry if you can’t get the point.
Let’s see an example.
- To the west of my school, there is a temple I visit every day. In this sentence, the direction is used usually.
- The West Coast of Lakshadweep is prone to a very dangerous cyclone. In this sentence, the direction west is used as a part of the particular region. Thus here west is capitalized.
Here is an exercise that can you can try.
Find proper nouns in the following sentences.
- Raghuraman is a good dentist in my town.
- I ordered a watch on Amazon on a festival day.
- I gifted the Samsung Mobile to my girlfriend.
- Bruce Lee is not only an actor but also a great philosopher.
- An Apple a day keeps a doctor away.
- Ramu’s dog Lucy is an adorable and very active pet.
- I love KFC Chicken.
- India is a country of unity and diversity.
- Diwali is a festival of lights and delicious sweets.
- Ooty is my favorite travel destination.